In my ‘PR and New Media’ module we’re currently working on a social media monitoring project. I’ve been feverishly tracking Tottenham Hotspur FC on all of their social media platforms; Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and Pinterest.
Pinterest? For football?
My experience with Pinterest has only ever included looking up recipes, laughing at memes and piecing together my imaginary wardrobe. Just from using the platform, it seems geared more towards women based on the content and according to Econsultancy I was correct.
Through Econsultancy’s research, they also identified that while Pinterest is ranked number three in the social media world with a staggering 12 million users in the US, there are only 200,000 users in the UK.
So how does a predominately female platform connect with a predominately male sport? The answer lies in the knowledge of your audience and the platform.
Even though most Pinterest users are women, UK Pinterest users are majority male.
In that same research we see that the two audiences are interested in using Pinterest for different reasons.
Well, now I understand why Tottenham, and other UK companies for that matter, use Pinterest, but what do they use it for?
LewisPR identfies one of the best ways to use Pinterst for businesses in to improve search engine optimisation, or SEO.
SEO ensures that your organisation pops up first when people search certain keywords. The more keywords associated with your organisation, the more likely people are to visit your site(s).
Here’s what LewisPR and other PR bloggers, identifies as Pinterst best practise:
- Use relevant keywords– Describe your pins using keywords that accurately describe your brand. Analytics can help you with this.
- ‘Pin it’– Provide a ‘Pin it’ button on your sites and share content from your Pinterest account directly on your sites. Make it easy to share.
- Repin– Be sure to promote others and think of ways to get others to promote you in your campaigns. The more pins the better the SEO.
- Seamless integration– Connect your Pinterest account with other social media accounts to entice others to have a look.
- Variety of content– Pin photos, videos, inforgraphics, articles and other memorable content to keep Pinners looking around your boards.
So Spurs, keep on pinning!